We've all heard that adding a lot of variety to a workout is a great way to keep our minds and bodies engaged at maximum range. Turns out the same holds for what we do afterward. By fueling your post-workout diet with food that layers both nutrition and flavor, you're feeding your muscles and your brain in ways that will not just get you through today, but also motivate you to come back to the gym tomorrow. To refresh your routine, New York chef and health entrepreneur Dan Churchill offers up one of his favorite post-workout recipes: High Protein Gluten-Free Pancakes.
The Australian-born food guru explains why these pancakes are his go-to for after an intense workout:
“If you are hitting a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) session, spin class, crossfit or just know that you are going to be very active, then this is a great option... I use Whey protein, but Vegan is wickedly good too.”
Using almond meal instead of flour gives these pancakes added protein and flavor without the heavy carbs. Drizzle yours with honey (great for immunity), peanut butter (packed with minerals), a bit of chocolate (for some flavonoid antioxidants) or Churchill’s other favorite potassium-rich post-workout snack: bananas.
Try Dan Churchill’s Protein Pancake recipe after your next workout and feed your inner beast:
Dan Churchill's Protein Pancakes
- 1 Cup Almond Meal
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder (go super natural… as best as you can)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Cup Almond milk
- 1 Banana, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Sauce
- In a bowl combine the almond meal, protein powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk your egg and add in your honey and almond milk.
- Add oil to a pan on medium heat and caramelize the banana slices, making sure to brown both sides for a total of about 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the pan and cook for 2 minutes or until edges start to harden and get bubbly.
- Get your flip on add cook for a further minute.
- Repeat with remaining banana & batter and serve with your favorite toppings.
Dan Churchill is an expert in food, cooking, surfing, lifestyle, travel, fitness and a kick arse attitude. A chef with a Masters in Exercise Science (Strength & Conditioning), Churchill has written three books and appeared on ABC’s Good Morning America and the award winning show The Chew. Follow his Youtube, Instagram and Blog to share in the power of good food.